Presenting Your Home: A Checklist
When preparing your house to look its best, you may find the suggestions on this list helpful. But don’t feel that you have to do all of this yourself. If you need a good painter, for example, or a plumber, gardener, or window washer, we will be happy to refer you to excellent people in the area.
- Lawns are most attractive if they are neat and mowed. Colorful flowers are always a plus. Replace dead plants and keep shrubs pruned.
- Clear driveway and steps of debris.
- Apply fresh paint as needed, with special attention to the entry area. Replace damaged bricks or wood siding.
- If you have a pool, be sure it is scrubbed and clean. Keep the patio area neat and yard furniture in good repair.
- Store or discard anything you don’t need. Clean floor and tidy shelves.
- Drapes and carpets should be clean.
- Paint or touch up as needed.
- Electrical systems and plumbing should be in good working order.
- Replace any burned-out light bulbs.
- Wash windows inside and out.
- Fix any loose knobs, sticky doors, and the like.
- Clear out clutter, including extra furniture, to maximize the sense of space.
- Renew the caulking around tubs and showers if needed.
- Clean or replace the shower curtain.
- Repair leaky faucets.
- Make this room really sparkle.
- Be sure closet lights work and clothes are neatly hung.
- Store shoes or other loose items in boxes on the shelves.
- Replace counter tile or grout as needed.
- Clean the oven and wax the floor.
- Sinks should be clean and shiny.